My Photo
Name:
Location: Franklin, TN, United States

6.12.2005

Romans 7:1-6 (MSG)

You shouldn't have any trouble understanding this, friends, for you know all the ins and outs of the law--how it works and how its power touches only the living. For instance, a wife is legally tied to her husband while he lives, but if he dies, she's free. If she lives with another man while her husband is living, she's obviously an adulteress. But if he dies, she is quite free to marry another man in good conscience, with no one's disapproval.

So, my friends, this is something like what has taken place with you. When Christ died he took that entire rule-dominated way of life down with him and left it in the tomb, leaving you free to "marry" a resurrection life and bear "offspring" of faith for God. For as long as we lived that old way of life, doing whatever we felt we could get away with, sin was calling most of the shots as the old law code hemmed us in. And this made us all the more rebellious. In the end, all we had to show for it was miscarriages and stillbirths. But now that we're no longer shackled to that domineering mate of sin, and out from under all those oppressive regulations and fine print, we're free to live a new life in the freedom of God.

15 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

hey ry. . its emily. i was here today looking at your blogs for my little church here at home. . because i didnt go to church (you know this of course) anyways, i just wanted to say hi and your blogs are freaking amazing and i love them. love you

em

oh hey richie

6/12/2005 10:51 AM  
Blogger Eternal_life72 said...

Thanks Ryan! This is much easier to understand...Awesome! This must be the chapter that talks about gouching their eyes out for lusting at another woman. So, my question is what does mean for Divorcees? Does it mean they have sin because their marriage fell apart but gets married to another mate while ex husband is still alive and kicking?

Peanut

6/12/2005 12:41 PM  
Blogger Ryan Smith said...

Paul is using marriage in a symbolic way here. He is saying that we were basically married to the law before Christ came. This means we were married to a legalistic way of living - a way that did not provide for grace. Once Christ died, however, we (meaning believers in Jesus), died with Him, thus dying to the law. So now we are free to be "married" to Christ, because we are "dead" to the law. As far as divorce goes, Paul is not addressing that issue here, but Christ did say that anyone who divorces his or her spouse for any reason other than sexual immorality is sinning by doing so.

6/12/2005 4:04 PM  
Blogger Eternal_life72 said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

6/12/2005 4:18 PM  
Blogger Eternal_life72 said...

Who is the Paul? Is this Paul the author to the Book of Romans? and was this Paul before or after Christ when this message was created?

Peanut

6/12/2005 4:37 PM  
Blogger Ryan Smith said...

The Apostle Paul was the author of the book (or letter to be exact) and I think you can make an educated guess as to whether it was written before or after Christ walked the earth.

6/12/2005 5:38 PM  
Blogger Eternal_life72 said...

Haha! Hmm... I maybe wrong to say this... but I would have to guess it's before or shall I say during the time Christ was alive; Because how would Paul knows of this infomation without having been told fore told by the Christ itself. (:

Peanut

6/12/2005 5:53 PM  
Blogger Ryan Smith said...

I think you should familiarize yourself with some Bible chronology. Paul wrote his letter to the Romans after Christ had come to the earth, died, risen, and ascended into heaven.

6/12/2005 6:06 PM  
Blogger Eternal_life72 said...

Wait! How is it possible for Christ to be died and risen from the dead? No mortal soul is able to be that lucky! If he was risen by now, I would think he is very dead now since it happened more than 2000 years? Can this really happened for real?! Hmm.. very interesting ry!

Peanut

6/12/2005 6:30 PM  
Blogger Ryan Smith said...

Peanut, sometimes I wonder if you know anything at all about the Gospel. Christ was no mere man, but God Himself, who loved humanity so much that He stooped to the level of becoming one of us, dying for our sin, and rising from the dead. The only reason it is possible is because He was, in fact, God.

6/12/2005 8:37 PM  
Blogger Eternal_life72 said...

Sorry I lack the understanding of your God and this Christ! In all honesty, I am ashamed and embrassed to tell you that I don't own a bible! Nor do I have any background in your faith or religions. My family are all athetist from generation after generation. We don't go to church, we don't know anything of the chronological background of any of his history. Public Education in the City never mixed religions within school funding from the government. So, yeah I don't know what is exactly a gospel is other than seeing them sing church songs on some Religion channel on TV.
Sorry to really disappoint you, Ryan. ): Thanks for your reply!

Peanut

6/12/2005 9:47 PM  
Blogger Ryan Smith said...

You didn't disappoint me. But I think that rather than asking me all these questions, you should get yourself a Bible and look for the answers there. My favorite translation is the English Standard Version (ESV).

6/12/2005 10:54 PM  
Blogger Eternal_life72 said...

Thanks Ryan! I'll tried to pick one up first thing tomorrow. How accurate is this version verses those Shakespeares ones? I hate really things that doesn't make sense if you know what I mean... (;

Peanut

6/12/2005 11:04 PM  
Blogger Ryan Smith said...

The English Standard Version is one of the more accurate word-for-word translations. You can read more about it here:

http://www.esv.org/

6/12/2005 11:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Ryan, these are great!!! I haven't really taken the time to read these before, even though I have looked at this site one other time. I'm going to start reading these every day. I need to be in the Word more, and this will help. Thanks for posting them.

God bless,
Karen

6/13/2005 8:13 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home