A Quest For Solid Ground: Introduction to Discussions on Art & Culture
Art is a tricky subject. It's tricky because it's one of those things that seems like it should be subjective, and yet people argue about it as if it is not. It's tricky because everyone can tell you what it is, but they can't tell you why it is. It's tricky because, as it turns out, what feels good and what is good are rarely interchangeable. And most importantly, it's tricky because Christians, who of all people should be rooted in absolutes, so often fall into the trap of modern subjectivism, and end up merely feeding the machine rather than making efforts to mend its brokenness. Somehow the church went from Bach to hard rock; from Rembrandt to Thomas Kinkade. How did this happen and what can we do to remedy the unwise decisions made by Christians in the past?
For some time now I have been pondering the state of our world in regards to art and culture, but I have found myself teetering between a myriad of opinions, unable to find solid ground. There is one thing of which I am certain, however. We, as Christians, must have a standard by which to judge not only our own art, but also the art of the secular world - not to dismiss it, but to critique it, from a thoroughly Christian worldview, a worldview grounded in the absolutes given to us through scripture.
For the next few months, I will be posting my thoughts on art, and I hope, in the process, to find some solid ground. Forgive me if I sometimes overemphasize film, ignoring the other arts completely, but it is my passion, and the medium I feel most comfortable criticizing. Please feel free to leave comments. I predict these entries will prove to be not only informative, but perhaps a bit inflammatory as well.
And I do apologize to all those friends on my email list who I assured they would not be reading my words on this site. It seems I spoke too soon.
For some time now I have been pondering the state of our world in regards to art and culture, but I have found myself teetering between a myriad of opinions, unable to find solid ground. There is one thing of which I am certain, however. We, as Christians, must have a standard by which to judge not only our own art, but also the art of the secular world - not to dismiss it, but to critique it, from a thoroughly Christian worldview, a worldview grounded in the absolutes given to us through scripture.
For the next few months, I will be posting my thoughts on art, and I hope, in the process, to find some solid ground. Forgive me if I sometimes overemphasize film, ignoring the other arts completely, but it is my passion, and the medium I feel most comfortable criticizing. Please feel free to leave comments. I predict these entries will prove to be not only informative, but perhaps a bit inflammatory as well.
And I do apologize to all those friends on my email list who I assured they would not be reading my words on this site. It seems I spoke too soon.


8 Comments:
Thank you for your kind comments on the For Reflection blog. I happened to stumble upon your Xanga site and found it to be quite interesting. Where does your interest in the occult stem from? And why do you spend so much time on scripture if that you don't accept it as truth? I'm also curious to know if you are aware of the Christian themes present in the Harry Potter novels. If you have any questions for me, I have answers.
Well, the first thing I would suggest is to stay away from the occult and its practices. Satan has ruined countless lives through the influence of witchcraft, and the Bible strictly prohibits tampering with these things. Scripture will only start to make sense to you if you are open to it, and if you are still dabbling in the occult, then it seems your heart is divided. Christ said that a house divided cannot stand. He also said you cannot serve two masters. One of these days you will have to make a choice about your beliefs. Until then, you will continue to live in confusion. And the more you fill your life with things that are contrary to the Word of God (witchcraft and the occult for example), then the more difficult it will be for you to receive His Word. As far as the Harry Potter issue is concerned, I'm afraid that is another discussion altogether, but let's just say that Christians can be very narrow-minded sometimes. They often miss the forest for the trees. For now I will simply say that it is important to understand that J.K. Rowling is not advocating sorcery, but using it as a literary device in her novels. Anyone who thinks Harry Potter is simply about magic is missing the point.
Thanks for the advice Ryan! Its so easy said then done my friend! Hehee... To let go something I have known most of my life, well 15 years + seems wierd without it.
If you are wondering if I am still practices with it...umm...No! But, I have to say it will always be part of me. Its what I am drawn to and it's something will be hard to live without!
So, what you are saying is that my heart is divided because I am not quite willing to give it up yet, and at the same time I yearned to understand the word of God's meaning and in order for me to even remotely be opened to what God is saying I will continued to live in confusion because of my decisions? Hmm... Thanks so much Ryan for the explaination. Its really awesome to know you have taken the time to explain this that really puts it into perspectives to understand. Thankyou!
Peanut
The simple answer is that God often asks us to give up things that are dear to us in order to draw us closer to Him.
It would be hard Ryan... I would have to think about it, Ryan! It is amazing how your awesome parents had taught you so much with knowledge based information that I had only wished I had received as a child growing up. But, It is awesome that I have to the ability to learned from it and hope I can understand and make sense of it all to make that ultimate choice! I'm looking forward to meeting your mom while I will be in town in July and hope to learn more in details and how Christian interact when I come visit NRF! Thanks so for your time and your replies. It is truly amazing how gifted you are with so much knowledge based information.
Thanks again Ry!
Peanut
Ryan: I for one will never complain when you use your own words! Standfast. Dr. G
So a discussion on Lord of the Rings will be forthcoming? :) I hope so.
Going back reading through the blogs and found this one. Ryan, are we gonna get to do this? I'm with Karen on this one and would love to discuss Lord of the Rings among other things. (But thanks for the blogs, they're amazing jump-starters for my day!)
Post a Comment
<< Home